Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Gluten Free?


1gf

Last Friday I blogged over here about the recent health changes I've made.  I had covered most of those changes in pretty good detail here but I wanted to catch my other blog up on what's been going on with me.  That also gave me the chance to introduce them to this blog as well if they happen to be quilters/sewists who like to run, workout, cook healthy, etc...

To sum things up, I had a lot of health issues last fall.  After about a month I started feeling somewhat better but I still had lingering aches and pains in my joints as well as random fevers and knock you down fatigue.  Looking back, I had been feeling like that for a long time, I had just ignored it because that's what I do best... ignore pain.

I ended up being diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I never fully accepted that that as what was wrong with me.  And I certainly was not willing to accept the multiple prescriptions the rheumatologist wanted me to take.  So instead of loading up on drugs I decided to start exercising and change how we ate.

These changes have definitely helped but I have still not been feeling 100%.  I wrote about that last week on my other blog and then I had a reader email me Monday morning to share that I had many of her same symptoms and she found that she had a gluten intolerance.  The results she experienced from cutting gluten out of her diet in a fairly short amount of time were amazing!

I don't know how to describe it other than a nagging thought about gluten and what it may be doing to my health but that feeling has been lurking around since last fall when I was so sick.  Now I don't know if this is the cure all but it's certainly worth a try because in looking at what gluten is in, I would be giving up things that I probably shouldn't be eating much of anyways.

The way I see it, even if it doesn't help my physical symptoms, it's still one step closer to eating healthy so I guess it's a win-win situation.

Here's a few links I've found that have been very helpful so far:
The Gluten-Free Goddess
Gluten Free Eating for Runners
Gluten Free

If you are eating a gluten-free diet or have in the past, I'd love to hear about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment