Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lately & Recipes

Untitled

... I've been running on the treadmill.

It's hot here in Texas.

Untitled

...and the treadmill is also kinder to my feet as I work out my achilles issues.

Untitled

I've also been a tad obsessed with Mason jars.

Untitled

I really like the idea of taking salad for lunch all in one air-tight container without it turning into a soggy mess. 

And then there's the overnight oats which is really just a fancy name for cold oatmeal which I'm loving this summer since I usually work out in the morning and the last thing I want after taking a shower and putting on a suit is something hot to eat on my way to work.

I'm not much of a recipe person but here are the "recipes" (more like instructions) for the oatmeal and salad:

Overnight Oats:

1/2 cup of oats (not the instant kind)
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup of almond milk, soy milk, or regular milk
Small spoonful of a nut butter if you want - I used Justin's Maple Almond Butter
Any kind of fruit - I used blackberries

Mix the ingredients in the jar, put the lid on and refrigerate overnight.  In the morning you have breakfast ready and waiting.

Meatless Taco Salad:

1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
Salsa
1 red pepper (diced)
1 yellow pepper (diced)
Mixed greens
Avocado (chopped)
1 tsp of shredded cheese if you like
2 tortilla chips

Mix your black beans, corn, diced peppers and 1/3 cup of salsa together*.  This will be the dressing for your salad.  Put this mixture in the very bottom of the jar.  I did this step the night before, put the lid on the jar, and refrigerated it.

The next morning:  layer your avocado on top of your black bean mixture.  Follow with your mixed greens (this was by far the largest serving in the jar).  Add your shredded cheese and crumble your tortilla chips on top.  Close your jar and refrigerate until lunch. When you are ready to eat just shake the jar and your lunch is ready.

*The black bean mixture made enough for 3 lunches plus some extra that we ate as salsa with dinner the next night.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment